As you must have figured out from the title, in this blog we are going to lay our focus on discussing one of the most common things of modern dentistry i.e tooth extraction. Being a reliable service provider in this field for quite a long span of time, Pacific NW Dental has often come across various questions regarding this particular topic. Keeping all such things in mind, we decided to come up with a blog that will draw and end all confusions and questions about tooth extraction.
You must be aware of the fact that there arises a need for pulling out the wisdom teeth in both teens and adults. There are a few symptoms which if you experience, the extraction of wisdom teeth becomes a must. All you gotta do is go and see a dentist nearby. But apart from this, there are several other reasons which demand extraction of teeth for relief and comfort in the long run. They are:
- Cavities in your teeth
- Oral infection
- Serious injury in a tooth or the bones surrounding it
- Decay resulting in tooth loss
- Gum disease
- Overcrowding of teeth
Do you know that the patients undergoing chemotherapy might also have to go for tooth extraction? This is applicable for the ones who are supposed to undergo an organ transplant as well. The sole reason behind getting the teeth pulled out is to ensure the oral hygiene of the patients. Have you ever thought about who takes up the responsibility to perform tooth extractions? The answer to this question is dentists or oral surgeons. They are capable and trained at performing all the steps involved in tooth extractions and yield positive results. In case you are looking for what to expect from a tooth extraction session, consult a dentist today. He/she will inform you and help you to shed all the hesitations.
We are now going to talk about the different methods which can be adopted for teeth extraction. Well, this is to let you know that procedures for extraction of teeth can be divided into two major parts – simple extraction and surgical extraction. The patient receives a local anesthetic in case of simple tooth extraction. This makes the area surrounding the tooth numb which in turn cancels out the chances of the patient feeling any sort of pain or discomfort during the extraction. A unique kind of an instrument called the elevator is used to loosen the tooth from the gum before pulling it out with a forcep. Whereas, both intravenous and local anesthesia is generally used in case of surgical tooth extraction. The patient can also receive a general anesthetic if required. This depends on his/her medical conditions. The dentist or oral surgeon cut into the patient’s gum with small incisions to get the tooth removed. They can also choose to remove the bones around the tooth before extraction which helps to execute the task with ease.
How Much Does Tooth Extraction Cost?
Without any further adieu, we are going to talk about the price that you might have to pay in order to undergo professional tooth extraction at a dental clinic. The cost usually varies from one person to another based on a few factors such as:
- Location of the dental clinic from where you want to get the job done
- The type of extraction which is needed to be performed
- Complexity of the procedure
- Amount charged by the dentist or the oral surgeon who is supposed to perform the tooth extraction
Just to give you a rough idea, the cost of a simple tooth extraction can be somewhere between $70-$200. Though the price increases upto $800 – $4000, if you have an impacted tooth which is to be pulled out. You should know that the charge of local anesthesia is included in the package of tooth extraction. But, the extraction fee does not include the money required for extra destination i.e usage of nitrous oxide or cost of any initial examination and X-rays required to figure out if the tooth needs to be removed.
Now that you have gained clarity about the cost of tooth extraction and the two different methods of getting it done, we are going to provide you with few tips which can be adopted post-extraction. Keeping these pointers in mind will definitely fasten up the time span for recovery.
- Try to apply a pack of ice on your cheeks on a regular basis until the swelling is completely gone.
- When the dentist/oral surgeon puts the gauge pad on the spot right after the extraction, try to constantly bite down. This will reduce the bleeding and also act as a catalyst to speed up the process of blood clotting. Hold the gauge there for a few hours until the pad gets soaked in blood.
- Always take the medicines which are prescribed to you by the dentist.
- Recovery is all about taking rest. Hence, listen to your dentist and don’t jump back into your daily schedule right after the tooth extraction.
- Use straw for intake of any sort of liquid.
- Avoid smoking.
- Don’t rinse your mouth for at least 24 hours after the extraction.
- It is advisable to not spit. But if you have to, be gentle.
- Do not brush or floss the area of extraction.
- Eat soft food.
If you are looking for a dental clinic to undergo tooth extraction in or around Spanaway, WA, get in touch with Pacific NW Dental. We offer excellent dental services at an affordable price. Contact today!